Thursday, March 20, 2008

Swallow Test Today

Today, they did some swallow tests where I had to swallow several different things with varying consistencies while taking X-Ray videos which I got to watch.  Basically, your throat is like a cake decorator device where you pour something inside it then squeeze it out through a smaller opening.  Was pretty cool, because as soon as you swallow your throat constricts and shoots the drink/food down to the stomach. 

Really fast and I could see the muscles contracting all the way down.  There is a little flap that looks like a hook that protects the vocal cords and that's where my problem is.  Because my muscles are weak from not using them enough, it doesn't force the drink/food down hard enough and a little bit gets "hooked" and hangs up. So what I have to do is force myself to swallow and get the muscles stronger so it'll shoot it down harder and miss the hook.  Meanwhile, I just have to swallow some water after every swallow of something else so I can wash that little bit hooked up down.

No comments: